First School at St. Mary's Mission, Red Lake, MN

SBM_87_full.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

First School at St. Mary's Mission, Red Lake, MN

Description

St. Mary's Mission in Red Lake began in some empty buildings on the reservation. The sisters converted an abandoned Hudson Bay Company's warehouse into a school. In spite of its poor condition, the school opened with an enrollment of 25 day pupils. Years later when Sister Amalia was asked how they kept warm in that drafty house, she replied that they didn't keep warm; they froze. The next spring they took in 27 boarding pupils in addition to the day students.

Source

Saint Benedict's Monastery Archives

Date

1890

Rights

No copyright in the United States.

Tags

Citation

“First School at St. Mary's Mission, Red Lake, MN,” College of Saint Benedict/Saint John's University Libraries, accessed August 18, 2022, https://csbsjulib.omeka.net/items/show/899.